The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (SWF) is excited to announce the launch of the new Saskatchewan Master Angler Program!
The goal of this new catch-and-release program is to recognize the achievements of anglers fishing Saskatchewan waters.
Saskatchewan Master Angler Rules:
Those fish that are successfully released, meet the below requirements, and of qualifying size are eligible for the Master Angler Program. All other fish that are qualifying species, that are legally caught, may be submitted to the Saskatchewan Angling Registry regardless if they are kept or released.
The rules and requirements for the Saskatchewan Master Angler Program are:
- All anglers fishing in Saskatchewan are eligible to apply.
- Fish must be legally angled within the province.
- To qualify, a fish must be one of the listed species and meet the minimum size requirements. Fish must be measured from the tip of the snout to the tip of the tail when pinched. An accompanying photograph showing the whole fish measured horizontally is required to be submitted. Additional photos are optional. Weight of the fish is not required. The official Saskatchewan Master Angler Qualifying Species & Sizes can be found here.
- Fish must be released in good condition. Submitted photographs that show excess injury or stress will not qualify. Fish that do not survive when released are not eligible. Refer to the “Catch and Release” section in the Saskatchewan Anglers Guide for tips on proper handling and methods.
- Each qualifying fish may only be submitted once. If fishing alone, the witness verification may be omitted. Otherwise, all sections must be completed.
- The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation will review each entry to verify eligibility. The SWF is the final judge on acceptance of entries.
- SWF members that submit an eligible catch will qualify for additional prizes and awards.
- Submissions must be made within the same calendar year the fish is caught.
- Entries will be reviewed quarterly.
*Note: Photos that are submitted may be used for future promotion of the Master Angler Program.
Be sure to look through the official Saskatchewan Master Angler Award Tiers.
Catches are available to upload through a free mobile app, compatible with Apple and Android devices. The Saskatchewan Master Angler App allows users to search by lake or by fish to see where certain species live in Saskatchewan’s many lakes. As well, app users are able to report invasive species and tagged fish that they find.
Download the app for free:
Apple Version: https://www.apple.com/…/saskatchewan-master-angler…
Android Version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…