In 1929 the Saskatchewan Fish & Game Protective Association was formed through the initiative of three individuals, Mr. Judge Bence and Mr. Tom Coburn from North Battleford and Mr. Stan Naden from Regina. They recognized the need for a united provincial voice for Saskatchewan’s anglers and hunters to protect our unparalleled natural resources.
On February 1, 1932 at a meeting of the organization, the name was changed to the Saskatchewan Fish & Game League, and by 1934 boasted 14 branches with 839 members who paid a membership fee of 25 cents.
Due to the League’s expanding scope and activities, the name was changed in 1966 to The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation and finally was registered as a non-profit organization in 1982 as Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation.
In 1968, the Federation adopted the whooping crane, a species that was clawing its way back from the brink of extinction, as its official emblem.